Wednesday, February 24, 2016 11:01 pm
By Kazeem Ugbodaga
The authorities of the Lagos State University, LASU, has suspended 11 students over the death of a 200 level female student of Industrial Relations and Personnel Management, Omolara Gbadeyan, who died after a party last week.
The party was hosted by History and International Studies’ Association at an event centre at Igando on 11 February, 2016.
As a result of Gbadeyan’s death, the school authorities approved the immediate suspension of 11 members of the History and International Studies’ Association.
“The Lagos State University Management has approved the immediate suspension of 11 old executive members of the Students’ Society of History and International Studies.
“The students were the organizers of the unauthorized cum ill-fated party of the association’s award night of Thursday, 11 February, 2016, where the unfortunate death of Omolara Gbadeyan, a 200 level student of Industrial Relations and Personnel Management, Faculty of Management Sciences of the university occurred,” the school management said in the Official Bulletin.
“Consequently, the affected students are henceforth not allowed to participate in any of the students’ related activity. In addition, they are expected to face the Students’ Disciplinary Committee immediately,” it added.
The affected students are: Arubo Kareem, Shenjobi Tumininu, Kudayah Esther, Balogun Mattew, Eletu Bidemi, Omokeji Shobowale, Princess Omoebo, Aka Abiodun, Yekini Oluwasun, Odeyemi Tope and Adeshina Ademola.
Before the suspension, the management of LASU had said the organizers of the said party neither informed the school’s authorities nor sought any approval for same, an act it said was contrary to the rules and regulations of the university.
The female student died after drinking a concoction, while another male student was said to be on danger list at the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital (LASUTH).
Both he and the late female student were vomiting blood. It was gathered that the female student started foaming in the mouth and was rushed to a hospital where she later died.