Thursday, November 27, 2014 8:20 am
The Associated Press reported that Boko Haram attackers struck Kamtahi and Galtimari villages Monday evening, burning houses and forcing residents to flee.
According to Muhammed Abbas Gava, spokesman of a Nigerian civilian militia: “Virtually every house in the two villages were burnt to ash,” said Gava.
“The villages were totally razed down as residents fled for their lives, some with injuries.”
Borno State police command spokesman, Gideon Jubrin, said he was not aware of the incident.
This is part of a string of attacks in Borno state, including two suicide bombings on Tuesday at a crowded marketplace.
Dr. Musa Taji, a medical doctor in Maiduguri, said at least 70 people were killed.
On Monday, suspected Boko Haram fighters attacked the village of Damasak, driving into the town with improvised explosive devices and petrol bombs.
Last week, at least 50 people, mostly fishermen were killed in Doron Baga, along the shores of Lake Chad.
“Boko Haram has carried out a series of bombing campaigns since gunmen stole eight trucks of explosive materials from a cement factory in Gombe earlier this month,” said Human Rights Watch researcher Mausi Segun.
Borno state has been hit the hardest by Boko Haram’s five-year-old Islamic uprising.
Nigerian lawmakers are considering extending emergency rule in northeastern Nigeria, which has been in place since May 2013.