Friday, September 12, 2014 12:11 am
The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) has said that alarmist report on foreign and online media on Maiduguri “clearly intended to cause panic in the city and the nation’’.
A statement posted on the DHQ website on Thursday said that all facets of security arrangements for the defence of Maiduguri had been upgraded to handle any planned attack.
The statement also said that the arrangements would take care of attempt to disrupt the city’s prevailing peace.
“This kind of alarmist report is uncalled for in view of the efforts and alertness.
“Citizens are nevertheless enjoined to remain vigilant as they go about their lawful businesses.”
It said that the situations in Mubi, Michika, Bazza, Gulak, Gwoza, Bama, Gamboru Ngala and other parts of the North East had been stabilised as highly-coordinated air and land operations were ongoing.
“The efforts are yielding impressive results in the overall move to rid the areas of terrorists’ activities”, it added
In a statement Thursday, Borno Elders Forum claimed Boko Haram fighters have surrounded the city of Maiduguri and are preparing an imminent takeover.
“They have completely surrounded the city of Maiduguri,” said the Borno Elders Forum, which is made up of retired senior civilian and military officials as well as community leaders.
“It is apparent that their imminent target is to take the city of Maiduguri, the Borno state capital,” they said in a statement.
“We wish to call on the federal government to urgently fortify in and around the city of Maiduguri,” the elders added.
“The insurgents… are nursing the ambition of attacking the city in all directions. There is credible local intelligence information to that effect.”
Borno, Yobe and Adamawa regions have been under a state of emergency since May last year but despite the Nigerian army driving Boko Haram out of Maiduguri, thousands of people have died in the countryside and many more have been forced to flee.