Monday, June 16, 2014 11:23 am
Nairobi – Kenyan police on Monday in Mombasa confirmed that at least 28 people, including a policeman were killed and an unconfirmed number of others were injured in Sunday night’s attack in the coastal town of Mpeketoni in eastern Kenya.
Inspector General of Police David Kimaiyo warned that the toll could rise with rescue still underway in the busy town, where bars and cafes were packed with fans watching the FIFA World Cup.
Police Spokesperson Zipporah Mboroki said that more than 50 masked gunmen descended on the busy town and sprayed bullets on villagers and torched several houses and buildings, including the local Equity Bank branch.
He said the attackers also took away some civilian and police vehicles before setting an administration police camp on fire.
Military spokesman Emmanuel Chirchir confirmed the attack and blamed the Somali insurgents behind the latest attacks in the coastal town, which had been previously hit by bandits.
He said surveillance aircraft was already airborne.
Eric Mugo, Lamu District Deputy Governor said the assailants who entered the town on Sunday night were heavily armed and took advantage of darkness to cause mayhem on the residents of Mpeketoni.
“We are still combing the area but there is a lot of tension in the area,” he said.
Kenya has vowed to continue with the anti-terror war and urged its countrymen to remain vigilant and report anything suspicious to the authorities.
The attack came two days after the British government closed its consulate office in Kenya’s coastal city of Mombasa, citing security concerns.
The British Foreign and Commonwealth Office said it would provide normal consular assistance to its nationals through the Nairobi embassy.
Stephen Burns, Spokesman for the British High Commission in Nairobi confirmed the development, saying the decision had been taken after careful assessment of the security on ground.