Friday, May 23, 2014 3:29 pm
Lagos – The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) on Friday urged the Lagos State Government to shelve the monthly sanitation exercise in May so that candidates writing its examination would be able to move freely.
Alhaji Kamaldeen Adedeji, the Lagos Coordinator of JAMB, made the appeal in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Lagos.
The next monthly sanitation exercise is scheduled for May 31, the day on which the ongoing Computer-Based Test (CBT) mode of the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) is expected to end.
Movement is restricted from 7.00a.m to 10.00 a.m on such sanitation days in the state.
Adedeji said there was no way the candidates’ movement to their centres would not be hampered if there was restriction, especially those who were to write their examinations in the morning session.
The coordinator said that JAMB had earlier pleaded for cooperation of the state governors to attain maximum success in the conduct of the CBT mode of the examination.
“We have written to the Lagos State Government to remind them about this and also plead with them to consider their stand on restriction of movement from 7.00 a.m. to 10.00 a.m. on May 31.
“It is going to hinder our examination, especially the one slated for the morning session, which is scheduled for the same time as the sanitation.
“We normally do three sessions everyday and we would like to avoid any form of mix-up because these things have been programmed,” the JAMB official said.
On the CBT, Adedeji said that so far, there had been no reported case of malpractice or other related offences since the commencement of the examination on May 17.
“I want to express deep satisfaction over the conduct of the examination, especially here at the UNILAG centres.
“So far, I will say that it has been a good experience, as everything has been going on without any hitch.
“There have been no cases of impersonation or technical hitches, compared to what obtained before now.
“I want to assure the public that the board will continue to do its best in ensuring that the Nigerian child is given the best and positioned for future challenges.
“With the current success recorded so far in the conduct of the examination, it is only safe to say that the CBT has come to stay.
“We only need to do more sensitisation, to carry everyone along,” he said.
NAN reports that a total of 600,000 candidates registered for the UTME on the CBT platform, which has been on since May 17.