2019: Green Party Senatorial candidate to commit salary to grassroots development

2019: Green Party Senatorial candidate to commit salary to grassroots development

Sunday, November 25, 2018 1:37 pm

INEC Election Ballot Box

Mr Armstrong Akintunde, Ogun East Senatorial Candidate of Green Party of Nigeria (GPN), says if elected, he will allocate 80 per cent of his salary to development of the grassroots.

Akintunde, a former students’ leader, made this known in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Iperu, Ogun on Sunday.

According to Akintunde, it is when people at the grassroots are happy that the government and the society will be free from crime.

The senatorial candidate said that the party was out to guarantee the development of the grassroots through various people-oriented policies and programmes.

Akintunde said his party was poised to unseat the ruling party, saying that the GPN had ceded 80 per cent of its slots to the youth.

“To us in GPN, those bogus salaries they are collecting at the Upper Chamber will go straight to the grassroots. We have an agreement which is first of its kind.

“We have signed an agreement that as a member of the National Assembly, you have to remove 20 per cent of the salary, while the remaining 80 per cent goes into development of the grassroots.

“As far as Ogun State is concerned, GPN is taking over.

“We are taking over because out of over 60 political parties in Nigeria, GPN is the only party that gives 80 per cent chance to the youth without paying a dime for the nomination forms,’’ he said.

He promised to initiate bills that would favour the youth and address the issue of unemployment, adding that his political mission was all about reconciliation, rehabilitation, reconstruction and reformation.

Akintunde urged the Federal Government to continue to address the issues of diversification, investing in the youth, agriculture and also solve the problem of power supply.

He urged the youth to desist from being used as instruments of destruction, saying that they should not allow politicians to use them as political thugs.

“The party is fully set, ready and committed to better the lots of the citizens and also bring the dividends of democracy closer to them, ‘’ Akintunde said.

Join The Conversation

What do you think?

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.