Monday, August 13, 2018 5:48 pm
The Department of State Services (DSS) has denied reports in the social media of alleged recovery of N21 billion, PVCs and weapons in the Katsina and Abuja residences of its sacked Director General, Lawal Daura.
Spokesperson for the intelligence agency, Tony Opuiyo, in a statement on Monday said the N21 billion in cash, 400 assorted and sophisticated small arms and light weapons/rifles and thousands of Permanent Voters Card (PVC) belonging to Niger Republic immigrants allegedly found in Daura’s homes were figments of imaginations of the purveyors of the fake news.
Videos in which some persons believed to be security operatives were seen forcing safes stocked with money open at a house purported to be that of the sacked DSS DG have been in circulation in the past few days.
But the DSS denied the videos, asking the public to disregard them.
“So far, no such recovery operations have been undertaken by the EFCC or any other security agency at DSS’ office or residences of the former DG”, Opuiyo said..
“There is no doubt that different interests have continued to give varied accounts of the incident of last week at the National Assembly.
“It may, however, be recalled that the Presidency had pledged to carry out a detailed investigation regarding the alleged National Assembly siege.
“The public is, therefore, advised to exercise restraint in their narration of events and as such, desist from spreading fake news or engaging in activities that may mislead or further cause a breach of the peace as well as preempt the outcome of investigations”, Opuiyo said.
Lawal Daura was sacked last week Tuesday by Acting President Yemi Osinbajo, following the blockade of the gates of the National Assembly by hooded and armed DSS operatives.