Wednesday, March 30, 2016 11:53 pm
Cameroon has released two female suicide bombers arrested last week Friday, north of the country to Nigeria’s military authorities.
The bombers, now identified as a 12 year-old girl and a 35 year-old, mother of two, are now on the way back to Nigeria.
Aisha Muhammed-Oyebode, chief of Murtala Muhammed Foundation, working with Nigerian government over the Chibok schoolgirls gave the information after meeting some parents of the stolen Chibok schoolgirls.
Aisha said three representatives of parents of the missing students looked at photographs of the girl and a woman she was arrested with her and said they “do not fit the description of any of the missing daughters from Chibok”.
She said the Nigerian government told her group on Tuesday that the girl identified herself as a 12-year-old originally from Maiduguri, northeast Nigeria, who was abducted from Bama about 60 km (40 miles) away, when the town was overrun by Boko Haram a year ago.
The woman was said to have identified herself as a 35-year-old mother of two.
Hopes had risen after the 12 year-old was captured that she could provide a link to the Chibok schoolgirls abducted 14 April, 2014 by Boko Haram. Initial reports had said the girl was a 15 year old girl.
But the hope was dashed after it was disclosed that the girl was too young to have links with Chibok schoolgirls.
The abduction of 270 school girls by the Islamist militant group sparked international outrage and a campaign for their safe return. Some 50 of the girls managed to escape but 219 are still missing.