Saturday, March 26, 2016 11:21 am
A 78 year-old man, who survived a Boko Haram attack on Damasak, Borno State late in 2014 said his town near the Nigerien border is still under the shadows of Boko Haram insurgents.
At the moment, he said, there is no single soul living there.
Pa Modu Zaromi, 78 years old, was able to rescue his two sons from Boko Haram and weeks later fled to Niger.
Now living in Maiduguri, Zaromi does not contemplate returning home yet.
“Who told you Mobbar has been liberated?”, Zaromi had shot back at his interviewer.
“I am from the local government headquarters, Damasak. Boko Haram insurgents stormed Damasak and took it over about one year, four months ago. They killed many of our people and established their presence there until Chadian soldiers drove them away. After waiting for some weeks for Nigerian soldiers to take over, they did not show up so the Chadian soldiers left during last year’s Ramadan. When they left in the morning, that same evening the insurgents returned and killed those they were able to kill and drove away others. Mobbar is now a ghost town.