Teenager saved from suicide in Lagos

Teenager saved from suicide in Lagos

Thursday, March 24, 2016 4:09 pm

The teenager who nearly killed himself

The teenager who nearly killed himself

By Kazeem Ugbodaga

Save for the timely intervention of the operatives of the Rapid Response Squad, RRS, of the Lagos State Police Command, a 17-year old boy would have committed suicide by jumping from the 3rd Mainland Bridge into the Lagoon.

The boy, (name withheld), a secondary school leaver, is the second born of a family of four children and the first boy of his mother.

According to a RRS rider on regular patrol of the Third Mainland Bridge, who craved anonymity, a roving mechanic drew their attention to a lone teenager, standing on the bridge and looking into the Lagoon curiously.

On getting to the scene, he was standing on the crash barrier, ready to dive into Lagoon before he was held in the legs by the RRS officials and taken to RRS headquarters for counselling and further investigations.

The boy, after receiving counselling from the Commander, RRS, Assistant Commissioner of Police, Olatunji Disu, disclosed that he decided to jump into the Lagoon after losing N6, 000 and a mobile phone to Area Boys in Lagos Island.

He explained that his mother had given him N6, 000 at about 4:00 p.m. to get food stuffs at Ita Faaji Market, when some miscreants collected his phone and the money from him.

“I felt depressed after losing the N6, 000 and phone to the five boys who waylaid me on my way to the market. I couldn’t summon the courage to go back home to confront my mum that I lost the money she gave me to purchase food stuff at Ita Faaji. I don’t know those guys and I have never seen them before”, he stated.

His mother (name withheld), who is in her mid-50’s said that she had been looking for him for couple of hours after sending him on errand. “I have searched everywhere, his friends’ and the entire neighbourhood. I was shocked to learn that he has attempted suicide by jumping into the Lagoon. He has just finished his secondary school. He went to Lagos City College. I don’t know why he wanted to commit suicide”.

“He is a sickler but he has never been admitted in a hospital before. He is healthy. If I didn’t tell you, you won’t know. He is athletic and doing just fine. His father has travelled overseas and re-married. We are doing fine and okay with our lives.

“If he had returned home to tell me what happened, the worst I could have done was to slap him and threatened him to return my money for me. I know I have been an exceptional mother to the four of them. I have never allowed them to miss their father and they are doing quite well in their studies”, she added.

The boy was subsequently released to his mother at the RRS Headquarters in Alausa. They are to report back next week.

Join The Conversation

What do you think?

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.