Saturday, January 2, 2016 10:25 am
#BringBackOurGirls, the group at the vanguard of campaign for the rescue of over 200 students of the Government Girls Secondary School, Chibok in Borno State, abducted by Book Haram said on Friday that its members will match to Aso Rock presidential villa on 14 January.
The march will be to protest the claims of President Muhammad Buhari that government did not have any credible intelligence on the state or whereabouts of the kidnapped girls.
Aisha Yesufu, one of the conveners of the group told journalists on Friday at the daily sit-out session to mark ‘Day 627’ since the girls were taken from their school’s dormitory in Chibok, January 14 would be exactly 21 months since the incidence took place.
The peaceful march, she said, is being organised to know the next step of government in the rescue of the girls.
While faulting the recent claim of the President on lack of credible intelligence on the abductees, the group asked government to set up a special search and rescue team to find the missing schoolgirls.
The group also expressed disappointment that President Buhari did not say anything about the missing girls in his New Year message to Nigerians.
It added that government needs to consider acquiring credible intelligence while also noting that there was a credible report on the whereabouts of the Chibok girls from the testimonies of the former Chief of Defence Staff, retired Air Marshal Alex Badeh and Governor Kashim Shettima of Borno State.
BBOG noted that following global demand for the rescue of the girls, the former CDS had told reporters that the military had been tipped off about where the girls were, but that the military was being cautious to avoid civilian casualties.