Couple dies in Lagos fire incident

Couple dies in Lagos fire incident

Saturday, April 11, 2015 2:41 pm

File photo: Lagos firefighters at work

File photo: Lagos firefighters at work

Tragedy struck in Lagos State in the early hours of Saturday, as a young couple was burnt to death in their apartment.

The victims, simply identified as Ayo and Jumoke, were said to have died in the fire which razed their apartment at 34, Associate Crescent, Abimbola Awoniyi Estate, New Oko-Oba area of Agege in Lagos.

Mr Rasak Fadipe, the Director of Lagos State Fire Service, confirmed the incident to NAN.

Fadipe said that the incident, which happened at about 12:03 a.m., was caused by a power surge.

“When we got to the scene, we were able to break into the apartment but unfortunately, we met the couple dead behind the door. They were trying to escape when the fire broke out.

“Although we appreciate the security measures put in place by people in their homes or business centres, they should, however, be mindful of their safety,” he said.

Fadipe said that policemen from the Abattoir Police Division later came, removed the corpses and deposited them at an undisclosed mortuary.

Join The Conversation

What do you think?

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.