Monday, October 6, 2014 1:17 pm
Just when controversy is still raging over the $9.3million cash seized from 2 Nigerians and an Israeli in South Africa on 5 September, the authorities in the country have seized yet another $5.7million meant for an arms purchase between Nigeria and the country.
The seizure even antedated the $9.3million one that triggered questions about the involvement of a jet owned by Pastor Ayo Oritsejafor, president of Christian Association of Nigeria in arms trafficking.
The City Press, quoting its sister paper,Rapport, said the money was seized by The Asset Forfeiture Unit of the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) though it bore the imprimatur of senior security officials from Nigeria. According to the report from South Africa, Nigeria’s National Security Adviser, Sambo Dasuki, a colonel, personally issued the end-user certificate for the arms the money was meant to buy.
An entire “shopping list” was supplied with the certificate, which included everything from helicopters to unmanned aircraft, rockets and ammunition.
Sources close to the investigation said the latest transaction was between Cerberus Risk Solutions, an arms broker in Cape Town, and Societe D’Equipments Internationaux, a Nigerian company in Abuja.
An impeccable source said this company paid the R60 million into Cerberus’ account at Standard Bank.
Cerberus was previously registered as a broker with the National Conventional Arms Control Committee (NCACC), but the registration expired in May this year.
The marketing and contracting permits also expired at the same time.
The company has since applied for re-registration, but the application lay in the NCACC’s mailbox for more than two months.
Sources told Rapport that Cerberus apparently tried to pay the money back to the Nigerian company, after which the bank became suspicious.
The NPA’s Asset Forfeiture Unit subsequently obtained a court order in the South Gauteng High Court to seize the money.
Cerberus’ attorney, Martin Hood, this week declined to comment on the matter.
NPA spokesperson Nathi Mncube said there were no indications that the two transactions were related.
South Africa has insisted that the money was the proceed of illegal transactions and is now being investigated by the Special Investigating Unit of the department probing offences against the state.
.Source:City Press of South [email protected]://www.citypress.co.za/politics/another-sa-nigerian-arms-deal-bust/
Double wahala for deadly body , infact Jonathan does not know what is happening in his govt. Under GEJ Nigerian has become a laughing stock. This is the first PhD holder as the president but the worst when he come to corruption.
The moment our president decided to give Nigerian defination of corruption and stealing , I knew we are in double wahala. It took the same govt to admit that chiboks girls were missing for one month .
I conclude by saying this is worst democratic setting we ever witness in Nigerian. The same Jonathan all this political gladiator are endorsing for second time . Chop and chop.
Minister of petroleum will soon land in jail after this regime. Revelation is coming gradually.
Nigeria will decide come 2015.
himm! for heaven sake why embarrassing the whole nation?this is the most hopeless regime Nigeria has ever produced, you ask them, they ll tell you because its a southern leadership,so the northerners do not want them to succeed, however,the question is are you guys living up to expectations?
Shall they ever play clean? Never.$1st billion missing between 2002 and 2011.Abacha alone $6 billion. Only God knows how much Babangida stole.Add Obasanjo who has always played holier than thou.Nigeria needs a Jerry Rawlings urgently.
What is it about arms that Nigeria is making a messy affair of? Why can’t we buy from South African government directly? Why do we have to engage in below the counter-deals, if our intention is truly pure? Please stop embarrassing a whole nation, please.!
it was nyaope and now arms