Wednesday, July 30, 2014 4:41 pm
ABUJA – The latest suicide blast in Kano, northwest Nigeria, killed six people on Wednesday and was carried out by a woman, the fourth time a female bomber has attacked the city in a week, an official said.
“At about 2.30 pm (1330 GMT), another female suicide bomber exploded an improvised explosive device at the Kano State polytechnic… Six persons were killed,” government spokesman Mike Omeri said in a statement.
No fewer than nine persons died Last Sunday, in two explosions in the ancient city while several others got injured, as Muslims marked the end of Ramadan with festivities.
The first explosion occurred at NNPC Mega filling station in Hotoro when a suspected female suicide-bomber detonated an Improvised Explosive Device, which she is believed to have concealed under her Hijab.
It was gathered that the suspect joined the kerosene queue at the station and detonated the low-profile explosive five minutes after joining the queue.
About 10 persons sustained injuries and were immediately taken to the hospital.
In Zoo Road, near Shoprite, six people died when a bomb dropped by the side of the road exploded.
Giving account of the incident, Kano state Commissioner of Police, Mr. Adenrele Shinaba said: “On the 28th of July, 2014 at about 10 am, the Police Command received a distress call that there was a bomb blast at the NNPC mega station, located at Hotoro quarters, Maiduguri road.
“On receipt of the information, the Kano State Police Command anti-bomb squad were immediately mobilised to the scene, where it was discovered that the incident occurred when kerosene was being sold at the filling station, a woman, pretending to be a customer, but had an IED (explosives) concealed in her possession, blew herself up with it and injured 10 others.
”The victims were immediately rushed to the hospital, where three people have so far been confirmed dead, while seven others are receiving and responding to treatment.
”The Kano Police Command and the bomb squad (EOD) personnel and other officers have sealed the scene for sweeping to ensure no other explosives were left behind. There was no fire outbreak at the filling station as investigation is on-going.”
To douse the fears of southerns in Kano, following a two-week ultimatum to leave the state, Northern Youth Development Foundation, the governor said “No one has the authority to sack you from this place.”
He declared: “Kano is your home and you have come to stay,” when the sountherners visited him at Government House.
Some of Kwankwaso’s supporters believe that the spate of attacks in the Kano is an attempt to make the state ungovernable for the governor believed to be unpopular with the ruling PDP president, owing to political misgivings in the past, is faced with threats of impeachment.
—Former Head of State, Buhari escapes death in Kaduna—
On Wednesday, another bomb explosion claimed the lives of 14 people and injured five others at Kawo, near the headquarters of the 1 Division of the Nigerian Army, Kaduna.
The Commissioner of Police in Kaduna State, Mr Umar Shehu, said one man dressed as a woman was arrested at the scene.
Witnesses said the attack had targeted former Head of State and opposition leader, Gen. Muhammadu Buhari.
Two vehicles in the convoy of the All Progressives Party (APC) chieftain were burnt in the blast.
The commissioner confirmed that Buhari was passing through the road when the blast occurred, but was not sure if the politician was “the main target”.
Buhari’s bullet-proof jeep was sprayed with bullets, but he escaped unhurt.
While the President condemned the attacks, the Kano state government Governor Rabi’u Musa Kwankwaso of Kano, who returned from a trip to Morocco today, reacting to the multiple explosion earlier said “May Allah expose and destroy the evil plotters of bombs and genocide of innocent Nigerians, known and unknown, the nameless and the faceless.”