Wednesday, September 24, 2014 11:16 pm
President Goodluck Jonathan in an address at the 69th session of the United Nations General Assembly completely misled his audience on the period 219 school girls have been kidnapped by Boko Haram gunmen from Chibok Girls Secondary School, in Nigeria’s Borno state.
The girls were kidnapped on 14 April, more than five months ago, sparking a global outrage and #bringbackourgirls campaign.
But addressing the UN Assembly, President Jonathan said the girls had been taken away for “over three months”.
He however offered his usual promise that his government would find the girls.
“Let me underline today, that we shall not waiver until we end this mindless war on the innocent, and bring all the perpetrators to justice. We will triumph over terrorism,” President Jonathan declared.
The President assured the gathering that the Federal Government will continue to do everything possible to rescue the abducted Chibok girls and curb the violent and criminal activities of Boko Haram.
“I would like to take this opportunity to thank all the countries and organizations that expressed solidarity with us, and have continued to support our determined efforts to free our daughters.”
On terrorism globally, he said that pressing challenges of global peace and security have made it imperative that urgent action be taken on the reformation of United Nations Security Council.
Delivering Nigeria’s annual statement to the United Nations General Assembly, President Jonathan also called for an urgent review of United Nations peacekeeping operations across the world.
“Mr. President, the failure of unanimity of action by the Security Council over pressing challenges to global peace and security, in Syria, Iraq, the conflict in Ukraine, and the renewed aggression between Israel and Palestine, have strengthened the case for the reform of the Security Council.
“Today’s challenges can only be resolved by a Security Council whose working methods engender transparency, inclusivity, and common ownership through equitable representation of all regions in the decision making process of the Council.
“It is imperative that we take advantage of 2015, which also marks the 50thAnniversary of the 1965 reform, to make concrete progress on the reform of the Council.
“We call for a fast-tracked process, in line with the initiative of His Excellency John Ashe, President of the 68th General Assembly, for establishing a working Group on reform. Indeed, the Security Council requires the collective resolve of all member states to ensure that 2015 brings decisive progress,” President Jonathan told the annual gathering of global leaders.
The President noted that although the United Nations was established about 70 years ago to save succeeding generations from the scourge of war, the world sadly continues to experience conflict and human suffering.
“Today’s terrorism is vicious and aimless. Its consequences are extremely agonizing, marked by a tendency to annihilate victims, and completely destroy infrastructure and properties. The involvement of foreign fighters has remained a common feature of terrorist groups – whether Al Qaeda in the Maghreb, Al Shaabab in Somalia, Boko Haram in Nigeria, or the newly emerging Islamic State (I.S).
“The new dimension introduced by I.S. to conquer territory and establish its destructive ideology, is a major challenge that must be collectively halted before it becomes the norm. This refocuses attention on the need to review present tools for United Nations peacekeeping operations,” President Jonathan said.