Sunday, March 30, 2025 8:22 pm
By Jethro Ibileke
Governor Monday Okpebholo has order the immediate suspension of the Commander of the State Security Corps, CP. Friday Ibadin (Rtd.).
A statement on Sunday by the Secretary to the State Government, Umar Musa Ikhilor, also announced the suspension of all illegal vigilante groups in the State.
Ikhilor said the decision to relieve Ibadin of his job followed a review of the preliminary report of the gruesome killing of some travelers at Uromi in Esan North East Local Government Area of the State.
He reiterated that the local vigilante group involved in the incident was operating illegally as it was never profiled or registered with Edo State Security Corps.
“Its actions do not reflect the core values, character and principles of the Okpebholo administration, or the objectives of the corps as enshrined in the Edo State Security Corps Governance Law.
“Investigations into the killings are on-going and fourteen (14) persons have been arrested so far, while there is an intense manhunt for others involved in the gruesome killing by a special team set up by the Inspector General of Police.
“The Government of Edo State reiterates its belief in the constitutionally guaranteed rights of citizens to move freely or engage in lawful business in any part of the country.
“In the meantime, the Government is in touch with families of the victims, community leaders and the Government of Kano State where most of the deceased are reported to hail from.
“We urge all parties involved to remain calm as the State Government remains committed to ensuring that justice is done in a most efficient, transparent and proactive manner,” the statement said.
Meanwhile, the State chapter of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), has said that the administration of Governor Okpebholo has lost control of the State cecurity crisis.
The party in a statement on Sunday by its caretaker publicity secretary, Chris Nehikhare, said it is deeply alarmed by the rapidly deteriorating security situation in the State, which has now culminated in the gruesome killing of innocent travelers in Uromi.
It noted that the government’s classification of the perpetrators as an illegal vigilante group only further exposes the absence of a coherent security framework under the current administration and a continuation of the blame game this government has come to master.
The statement reads:
“The suspension of the Commander of the Edo State Security Corps, CP. Friday Ibadin (Rtd.), is a clear admission by the government that the security architecture of the state has failed. The February 5 mutiny by members of the Edo Security Corps was an early warning sign of deep-rooted inefficiencies, yet Senator Monday Okpebholo chose to ignore it. Now, Edo people are paying the price with their lives.
“It is particularly distressing that a vigilante group, operating without any oversight or proper registration, was allowed to take up arms and engage in extra-judicial killings. This is an indictment of the Okpebholo administration’s failure to properly regulate, train, and coordinate security efforts in the State.”
The PDP also demander the following urgent measures to restore security and prevent further loss of lives:
“Comprehensive Audit and Overhaul of the Edo State Security Corps: The security structure must be reviewed to eliminate unregistered groups and ensure accountability in operations.
“Immediate Arrest and Prosecution of All Perpetrators: The government must ensure that all those responsible for the Uromi killings, including their sponsors, face the full weight of the law.
“Deployment of Federal Security Agencies: Given the state government’s apparent inability to maintain law and order, federal intervention is now necessary to stabilize the situation.
“Implementation of a New Security Strategy: The PDP calls for a non-partisan security summit involving all stakeholders—traditional rulers, community leaders, security agencies, and opposition parties—to map out an effective security blueprint for the state.”
The Edo PDP stated that the safety of Edo people cannot be sacrificed at the altar of incompetence, even as it called on Governor Okpebholo must rise to the occasion and take decisive actions, or accept that his administration has failed and step aside for those who can secure the lives and properties of our people.
“Edo State cannot continue on this perilous path. The PDP remains committed to advocating for the protection of all citizens and ensuring that justice prevails,” Nehikhare concluded.
Join The Conversation