Tragedy as 6 members of a family die of generator fume in Benin

Tragedy as 6 members of a family die of generator fume in Benin

Tuesday, June 19, 2018 7:19 pm

The generator fume victims being taken away in a vehicle

Jethro Ibileke/Benin

Again tragedy struck in Benin, Edo State capital on Tuesday, as six members of a family of seven were found dead in their apartment.

The victims included the mother of the house and five children, including a set of twins. Their father who was identified as Tochukwu Okwueze was rushed to a private clinc along Eweka street for medial attention as he was discovered to be still breathing.

The incident occurred at Akpata Street, in Egor Local Government Area of the State. According to report,  the family had left their generator which was kept in the kitchen of their apartment running when they went to bed on Monday.

It was gathered that neighbors who discovered the lifeless bodies of the victims on Tuesday morning after forcing the door open, raised the alarm of their discovery.

Their lifeless bodies were later deposited at the mortuary of the Central Hospital, in Benin, amidst weeping and wailing by sympathizers.

One of the relatives of the deceased, Vincent, explained to newsmen, said his younger brother called him from Lagos to inquire what was happening.

“He told me to go the house, that something not pleasing to the ears had just happened. I call her (deceased woman’s ) line. Somebody picked the call and said that they (victims) slept and did not wake up.

“The whole family was affected. But the police told me that the father survived it. They said that though his case was serious, if there was the need to rush him to University of Benin Teaching Hospital, they would call me. It is a family of seven. The youngest is a set of twins,” he said.

The State Commissioner of Police, Mr. Johnson Babatunde Kokumo, confirmed the incident.

Join The Conversation

What do you think?

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.