Thursday, October 6, 2016 2:18 pm
The Nigerian Army has said with the capture of MalamFatori, Boko Haram insurgents have been driven out from their last stronghold in Nigeria.
The Theatre Commander, Operation Lafiya Dole, Maj.-Gen. Lucky Irabor told journalists on Wednesday in Maiduguri that Malam Fatori is the last strongholds in Northern Borno.
The capture of the town, he said, signify the success that the Army has recorded in the fight against Boko Haram terrorists.
“As you know, Malamfatori is in our kitty; our troops are consolidating on the capture of Malamfatori, Abadam and Gashigar,” Irabor said.
“The last time we met I told you that we were looking forward to capturing these areas which were the last strongholds of the Boko Haram terrorists; that we have done successfully.”
He noted that the Army lost some soldiers and equipment in the battle for the areas.
He added that the Army has consolidated on its position in the area since it was captured on September 27.
Irabor said, “Let me state that our capturing the area is not without cost, we have lost both lives and equipment.
“What I can tell you is that even though we lost a few soldiers, those wounded are in stable conditions in hospital, the equipment damaged have been repaired and returned to service.”
The soldiers, he said were killed mostly by Improvised Explosive Devises planted by the terrorists.
“In the cause of the operation, we have the issues of IEDs which the terrorists used on the road which cost damage to our vehicles. By and large we have cleared them from the area,” Irabor said.
But he said this was not an indication that Boko Haram had been been cleared finally.
“But that does not mean that we will not hear from the Boko Haram terrorists again. No; there are other areas that we have not completed our operations, places like the Sambisa Forest.
“Of course there are several aerial bombardments going on right now that I will not want to talk about, there are other areas our troops are carrying out operations too,” Irabor said.