Thursday, August 25, 2016 7:39 am
Gov. Abdulaziz Yari of Zamfara on Wednesday vowed that all those implicated in the killing of eight persons in Talata Mafara, Zamfara, would be exposed and prosecuted.
Yari, who condemned the religious unrest, dismissed social media reports that Christians were killed, saying that seven out of the eight persons that lost their lives during the incident were Muslims
The governor spoke to journalists on Wednesday in Abuja while fielding questions from State House correspondents after a closed door meeting with President Muhammadu Buhari.
While narrating what led to the riot, the Governor said : “From the intelligence I had from the security agencies, there was a fight between two students and I think one of them injured the other and started shouting that the other person abused Prophet Muhammad.
“Other students came and beat up the other boy who is Yoruba from Kogi State. Some people are saying he was a Muslim and some say the boy was a Christian. They beat the student until he collapsed and thought he was dead.
“Then security personnel requested help from one shop owner who then took the boy to the hospital in his car. When the students heard that the boy was still alive and in the hospital, they went to the hospital. But the boy was rescued by soldiers in the hospital.
“Then the students went back to the polytechnic and burnt down the shop of the person who gave his car to rescue the boy.
“They went back to town again and, as you know, the police in the division don’t have enough men to contain the riot and before reinforcement came, the crowd threw tyre in the man’s house and burnt down the house.
“That was how everybody in the house was killed and all the people killed in the House were Muslims and not like the rumours going around in the social media that Christians are being killed in Zamfara.
“In fact, the mob wanted to go and burn churches and attack non-Muslims but the security forces stopped them. It’s my home town and that’s where I live.”
He said that though no arrest had been made, security officials had intensified investigation into the incident with a view to apprehending all those involved in the religious unrest.
He said: “as at the time I left Zamfara, no arrest yet, immediately the incident happened, the school authority shut down the school.
“The police and the DSS are carrying out their investigations and soon there will be arrests.
“The government will not take this lightly; people should not take laws into their hands.
“If you say the punishment for who abuses the Prophet should be killed and you now killed innocent people.
“By the way, there is a government in place, there are laws and there are courts where Islamic laws are practised in Zamfara.
“So, why should someone take laws into his hands?
“So, definitely all the culprits will be brought to book.’’