My father, Shuaibu Amodu, was everything to me – son

My father, Shuaibu Amodu, was everything to me – son

Saturday, June 11, 2016 4:54 pm

Yunusa Amodu

Yunusa Amodu

Jethro Ibileke/Okpella

Abdul-Aziz Amodu, eldest son of the late Shuaibu Amodu, said the news of the death of his father came to him the day he was to depart for National Youth service Corps (NYSC.)

The 26-year-old who just graduated from Igbinedion University, Okada, added that he last spoke with his father on Friday and that the late Amodu “was not particularly sick before” his death Saturday morning.

“I just woke up this morning and saw someone rushed to the house to say that Shuaibu Amodu was dead. The person said I should tell my uncle. I asked if the person was talking about my father and he said yes; that it happened this morning.

“My last conversation with him was yesterday (Friday) morning. I was supposed to depart (for NYSC) this morning, so I called him over that. He didn’t pick my calls, but he called back. He said he was busy and that I should calm down.

Abdul-Aziz Amodu

Abdul-Aziz Amodu

“He said he would be in Okpella today. He briefly said something about death of knew Stephen Keshi”

He said he (Keshi) had not been buried because he was not a Muslim and that if he died he would be buried immediately.

“He was not sick and was advanved in age. He had not been fasting in the last three years because of his health condition and I don’t know why he decided to fast this year. He was not particularly sick apart from sickness associated with aging.”

Shuaibu Amodu

Shuaibu Amodu

Also commenting on the death of Amodu was his younger brother, Yunusa Amodu, who said he got the news of his brother’s death from the palace of their traditional ruler.

“It was a shocking news that got to us this morning. I got the news from my brother from the palace. Three days ago, I spoke with him towards the evening and we discussed at length. I even sympathised with him over the death of Coach Stephen Keshi and he said well, that’s how they received it and that they are trying to mobiles his coaching members towards his burial.

“He promised me that this weekend, that is, today, he will be going home and after resting for a while at home, he was going to find his way back to Abuja. But as you can see, he is no more.

Yunusa said the late coach has not for once complained of any ailments to them, adding; “but he did not say anything like that. If there was any, he would have told him when they spoke three days ago. He was fully OK.

“He was a great man. He was a father to all of us now that our father is no more and he have been leading the family. His death is a great loss to the entire Okppella community and the entire nation. I will miss him in everything,” Yunusa said.

Yunusa disclosed that the aged mother who was living in the late Coach’s house in Okpella, had to be moved to the palace of the Monarch who happens to be an uncle to the Amodus.

Commenting on the alleged debt owed to Amodu by the NFF, Yunusa said: “Though he used to mention it, but we did not interfere because he has a way of sorting himself out with them. When he was complaining, all of a sudden, we heard that they gave him another appointment as the Technical Director, which means they have a way of settling their differences.”

The body of the the late coach arrived his country home, Okiewo Road, Okpella at about 12:45 pm but was immediately taken to the palace of the Okeokpelagbe of Okpella, HRH Alhaji Dris, where he laid in state until he was later buried.

Join The Conversation

What do you think?

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.