Fire Razes Galaxy TV

Fire Razes Galaxy TV

Tuesday, December 29, 2015 10:12 pm

A fire disaster scene

A fire disaster scene

Kazeem Ugbodaga

At least, 260 fire disasters were recorded in Lagos this month alone, said the Director, Lagos State Fire service, Rasak Fadipe. He spoke as fire razed Galaxy Television in Lagos, destroying property worth millions of naira.

The number of fire disasters recorded in the month of December increased the total number of inferno between January and 28 December, 2015 to 1,898 with 80 death recorded. This was over 200 incidents higher than what the state recorded in 2014.

On the 260 fire disasters recorded in the state between 1 and 28 December, Fadipe blamed larger per cent of the inferno recorded in the state on residents’ act, saying “whenever a fire occurs, residents do not call for help immediately. Rather, they fight the fire alone. It is until it had escalated that they call the emergency lines for help.

“For instance, at 23, Ogundola Street, Ladylak Bariga; 10 rooms were razed. The fire started from a candle lit by one of the occupants. The person left the candle unattended to. It fell on the furniture in the room and cut fire. Rather than call for assistance, the occupants were fighting the fire and due to the weather, it escalated,” he said.

However, TheNEWS learnt that the Galaxy TV fire started at about 5:30 am and was due to an electrical spark from the armoured  cable connecting the Studio to their mast.

According to Fadipe, the distress call for the inferno was received at about 5:59 am and water tankers were deployed to the scene immediately to combat the fire.

“What we did when we arrived was to disconnect the electricity. And we were able to put out the fire,” he said.

A breakdown of the statistics showed that 16 fire disasters were recorded on Monday and last Sunday, 12 cases of inferno were recorded.

Fadipe warned residents to desist from storing Premium Motor Spirit, PMS in their homes, noting that it could escalate fire. “Also, Patents should caution their children whoever wants to cook especially in the Yuletide season to stay closer to whatever he is cooking,” he said.
Just today, a story building at 12 Apo Eso Street, Power Line Bus Stop, Ejigbo was gutted by fire, while a building opposite Catholic Church at Road 14, Lekki Phase I and a house at 47 Eluku Street, Itupate, Ikorodu were gutted by fire.

Join The Conversation

What do you think?

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.