Friday, November 13, 2015 3:45 pm
Nigeria’s new Minister of Defence said there is no Nigerian territory under Boko Haram control, contrary to the claim by Borno State governor, that the rebels are holding to a slice of two local councils.
Monsur Dan-Ali said the major fight against insurgency has been won; although it’s not yet over.
The Defence Minister stressed that the recent attacks by insurgents were launched from locations outside the Nigerian territory.
Boko Haram has ramped up cross-border attacks into Niger, Chad and Cameroon from its strongholds in northeastern Nigeria in recent months.
A long-awaited 8,700-troop-strong regional task force is set to begin joint operations soon against the Islamist fighters when the region’s rainy season ends, a top United Nations official said late last month.