Tuesday, December 23, 2014 7:55 pm
#SonyPictures said Tuesday it will release madcap comedy “The Interview” in some US theatres on Christmas Day, after it canceled the movie’s debut following threats blamed on North Korea.
“We have never given up on releasing ‘The Interview’ and we’re excited our movie will be in a number of theatres on Christmas Day,” said #MichaelLynton, CEO of Sony Entertainment.
He said the film would be released on more “platforms” and in more theatres in the future.
Before Sony’s statement, some US independent movie theatres had said they were prepared to show the comedy on Christmas Day as planned.
The Alamo Drafthouse in Austin, Texas, and the Plaza Atlanta in Georgia were the first to say Tuesday they would show the movie, which lampoons North Korean dictator Kim Jong-Un. Watch the trailer here:
“We are making shows available within the hour. Victory,” said Alamo founder Tim League, in a tweet announcing that Sony had reversed a decision to cancel the film’s release.
Last week, Sony canceled the December 25 release of “The Interview.”
The Hollywood giant had suffered a massive cyber attack on its internal computer network that US authorities now blame on Pyongyang, which has denounced the movie as a terrorist threat.
Following the hack, which exposed humiliating company secrets and the personal data of employees, Sony received anonymous threats that cinemas showing the film would face violent attack.
While denouncing the movie, North Korea has denied any role in the hacking. US President Barak Obama said it faces a “proportionate response” to what he called its “cyber vandalism.”
North Korea’s already limited Internet links have been cutting in and out for two days, because of what experts said appeared to be a “denial of service” attack, but no one has claimed responsibility.
Sony, meanwhile, was widely criticized — including by Obama himself — for backing down to the threats and cancelling the film.