Pele says he's doing fine in hospital

Pele says he's doing fine in hospital

Friday, November 28, 2014 8:29 am

Brazil football legend Pele, who has been hospitalized for three days suffering from a urinary infection, reached out to his fans via social media Thursday to say he’s “doing fine.”

The Albert Einstein hospital in Sao Paulo said earlier that his condition had “improved” and that the 74-year-old — widely regarded as the greatest player of all time — was receiving renal treatment.

Pele: admitted into special care unit of Sao Paulo hospital

Pele: admitted into special care unit of Sao Paulo hospital

But contrary to the hospital’s assertion that he was in intensive care, Pele — whose real name is Edson Arantes do Nascimento — said he had simply been moved to another room for increased privacy.

“I want to take this opportunity to let you know that I am doing fine,” Pele said in a message published in English on his Facebook page and on Twitter (@Pele).

“I am blessed to receive your love and support, and thank God this is nothing serious,” he added.

“I was simply relocated to a special room within the hospital for privacy purposes only. While I appreciate all the visitors that came to see me, I really need to continue my treatment and recovery in peace.”

The Albert Einstein Hospital in Sao Paulo where Pele is hospitalised

The Albert Einstein Hospital in Sao Paulo where Pele is hospitalised

Pele said he would spend the upcoming holidays with family and looked forward to beginning 2015 “with renewed health,” adding he had “many international trips already planned.”

Earlier, after confirming that he was admitted on Monday, the hospital said that Pele’s medical tests showed the presence of a urinary infection.

“The clinical condition of Edson Arantes do Nascimento (Pele) has improved but he remains under intensive care,” it said in a statement.

Pele’s agent Jose Fornos said that the star was tired after receiving too many visits, and added that his treatment “could go on for eight days.”

Pele underwent surgery for kidney stones on November 13 and appeared in good humor when he was released two days later, opening his window to salute fans who had gathered around the hospital and joking to journalists: “I am ready to play tomorrow.”

He had to cancel an appearance at his museum in Santos, on the coast near Sao Paulo, on November 12 as he began showing symptoms of the illness.

And he was also forced to miss a gathering of members of the Brazil team that won the 1970 World Cup in Mexico, who had come together to mark the 45th anniversary of Pele’s 1000th career goal.

Join The Conversation

What do you think?

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.