Friday, November 28, 2014 12:51 pm
The Ghana Football Association (GFA) says it will not appeal the decision of the Confederation of African Football (CAF) Appeal Board banning the country from the next Africa U-17 Championship for fielding an over age player.
The President of the GFA, Kwesi Nyantakyi, said on Thursday that they took the decision after deliberating on it at an Executive Committee meeting.
“We considered the new decision and we have the option to appeal to CAS (Court of Arbitration for Sports), but in view of the circumstances, we think we should let sleeping dogs lie and won’t take it up,’’ the GFA President said.
“The appeals committee did not convict Ghana of fraud, so it means we will not be banned from all age competitions for the next two years,’’ the GFA Website quoted Nyantakyi as saying.
The GFA filed the appeal after CAF banned Ghana from next year’s tournament after a protest by Cameroon over the Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) test of one of the players of the Black Starlets, Isaac Twum.
However, the CAF Appeal Board upheld the decision taken by the Organising Committee of the U-17 African championship last month banning Ghana from playing in the tournament.