Monday, October 6, 2014 6:41 am
Nigeria’s army on Sunday extended by 24 hours a travel ban imposed on Borno, the restive northeastern state worst hit by Boko Haram attacks.
Both Borno and neighbouring Yobe state had on Friday imposed a travel ban through the Muslim Eid holiday weekend to Monday to guard against Boko Haram attacks.
But now the “embargo on all vehicular movement in 7 Division area of responsibility has been extended till 7.00am (0600 GMT) on Tuesday, 7th October, 2014,” said the army statement, without giving further details.
The army’s 7 Division covers Borno and its surroundings.
When it announced the initial weekend travel ban, the military had said a security report indicated that Boko Haram militants have made plans to launch “multiple bomb explosions” in Maiduguri and other major towns in the state during the Muslim festival.
They planned to use motor vehicles, tricycles, among others, and their main targets include Muslim praying grounds, markets and other public places, the army said.
The two states and Adamawa have been under a state of emergency since May last year because of the Boko Haram conflict and the Islamists have typically carried out strikes on Muslim holidays.
The militants are thought to be in control of more than two dozen towns and villages in the northeast, but the military insists that lost ground can be regained.
What do you think?