Dutse – The Sahad Supermarket in Dutse, Jigawa state was on Friday gutted by fire and property worth millions of naira destroyed, the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports.
The General Manager of the supermarket, Alhaji Ahmed Bello told NAN in Dutse that the incident occurred at about 5.30 a.m.
Bello explained that he received a phone call from one of the staff who noticed smoke coming out of the store and rushed to the place.
“When I got there, I entered the supermarket to see what was happening but when I inhaled thick smoke I fell, in fact I was lucky to have come out alive,” he said.
He said that the prompt intervention by men of fire service helped in putting out the fire.
He said that there were no casualties and nobody was injured during the fire outbreak but millions of Naira had been lost in the incident.
He said that provision section, diapers and cooking intensils units were mostly affected.
Bello stated that the cause of fire was not unconnected with electrical faults.
The manager said that the supermarket would remain closed until the necessary repairs and renovations were made.